Department of Exceptional Student Education


Surrogate Parents

Surrogate Parents are needed to safeguard the rights of exceptional students.
Free training provided by Florida Diagnostic & Learning Resources System - South 


What is a Surrogate Parent?

A Surrogate Parent acts as an educational advocate for a child who requires Exceptional Student Education (ESE) services.  The position requires making informed decisions about the child's educational needs, attending meetings, and monitoring programs, much like a parent or guardian would.  It is an important responsibility.  The Surrogate Parent will receive free, appropriate training to act in the place of the natural parent or guardian.

Which students need a Surrogate Parent?

A child is in need of a Surrogate Parent when the child's parent, after diligent inquiry, remains unknown, or the child is a ward of the state or the court, or the whereabouts of a parent cannot be discovered, and when the child is an exceptional student, or is suspected of being an exceptional student.  The school district is responsible for appointing a Surrogate Parent to act in place of the parent in the special education decision making process.

Who can be a Surrogate Parent?

The minimum qualifications for becoming a Surrogate Parent are:

Must be a citizen of the United States, a resident of the state of Florida, and above the age of 18.

Must not be employed by the Miami-Dade County Public Schools or the Department of Children and Families. 

Must have knowledge, skills and experience through successfully completing free Surrogate Parent training, provided by FDLRS-South.

Must have time to become involved in the educational program of the child and must have no interests which conflict with the interest of the child whom he/she represent.

For more information review the Florida Department of Education (F-DOE) Technical Assistance Paper (TAP) on Surrogate Parents

For more information call Dr. Terry Vaccaro at (305) 514-5100



Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response
to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.